In today’s Chaos Cast episode, Jeff interviews Mike DeFrino, CEO of Kimpton Hotels. Mike sheds light on why Kimpton Hotels is rated number 14 on Fortune as one of the 100 best companies to work for and it is because of how Mike operates. In a constantly changing landscape, Mike sees and deals with chaos on a daily basis, yet still maintains a competitive advantage within the hotel industry. The niche that Kimpton Hotels operates in is especially dynamic, including the clients that they serve.
In today’s interview, Mike shares his hiring practices within the organization, how he enables and empowers employees to make decisions for themselves that ultimately benefit the hotel, and how he embraces a servant leadership mentality throughout Kimpton.
Key Points From This Episode:
* Hear how Mike steers the Kimpton Hotels to remain competitive in a constantly changing landscape.
* What Kimpton does to attract the talent and mindset to embrace a changing environment.
* How Mike pushes decision making down to the most effective levels within Kimpton.
* Discover the culture within Kimpton that fosters promotion from within.
* Understand the differences evident within the new generation coming up into the workforce.
* Hear the biggest challenges that Mike faces as the CEO and a leader of Kimpton Hotels.
* Learn about the Kimpton creative sessions and how they help take advantage of market opportunities.
* Mike shares who his heroes are, including Bill Kimpton, as a creator and innovator in the space.
Tweetables:“Change for changes’ sake can be really disruptive and can disorient people.” - Mike DeFrino of @kimpton[0:03:37].0]
“The job that you’re going to have in two years probably hasn’t been created yet.” - Mike DeFrino of @kimpton via… [0:07:21].0]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Kimpton Hotels – https://www.kimptonhotels.com/
Correction: I said in the episode that Kimpton was rated #20 but that was wrong–they’re #14. Sorry Kimpton!